Today we are seeing a proliferation of smart technologies and what is now referred to as IoT – the Internet of Things. These technologies are changing our organizations and also our communities as much attention is now focused on the emergence of a knowledge economy being driven by smart everything. A recent study performed by Gartner indicates that communities will be utilizing a projected 1.1 billion “connected things” by the end of 2015. The research further describes that 45 percent of the total connected things will be from smart homes and smart buildings. This is expected to increase by 81 percent in 2020. This poses critical questions and implications for community leaders and planners:
- Does our community have the necessary leadership and capacity to plan and execute “Smart Strategies” that enable us to maintain a healthy and vibrant community?
- What investments will be required to meet this new “Smart Everything” environment and allow our community to retain and attract jobs?
- How can these new technologies be leveraged to increase quality of life and incentivize individuals and businesses to locate in our community?
- What resources are available and what partnerships, alliances, cooperation and collaboration will be required to meet these complex and dynamic challenges?
We believe today that the challenges of our time will require Bold Leaders; leaders that raise the standard of confronting challenges and who are opportunistic if our communities will remain vibrant and sustainable. LINK is a community model and framework for developing “Smart Communities” and enabling them to position for the future.
L - Leading Change Workshop
This workshop will focus on how the community can develop leaders that will lead change. The workshop will focus on the Leading Change Eight-Stage process defined in John Kotter’s book Leading Change.
- Establishing a sense of urgency
- Creating a guiding coalition
- Developing a vision and strategy
- Communicating the change vision
- Empowering people for broad-based action
- Generating short-term wins
- Consolidating gains and producing more change
- Anchoring new approaches in the culture
I - Innovation Workshop
Developing an awareness of how INNOVATION (Technology) can transform our community into a “Smart” connected community for economic growth and prosperity. The workshop will provide a focus on the following:
- New innovations for smart communities
- How process mapping will be imperative to integrating new technologies
- Business Cases and templates for providing business justification
N – Creating Next Generation Thinking Workshop
Next Generation Governance Models, Next Generation Strategies to empower citizens and leaders to create the Next Generation Community. This session will enable community leaders to explore the following:
- “Thinking for a Change”
- Reframing our view of the current business model/practices
- Insurgent vs. Incumbent
- Examples of new business cooperative models
K – Establishing a KNOWLEDGE Base (Collective Intelligence)
Resources and collective intelligence that strengthens the communities position and ability to make “Smart” investments for the future. Maximizing the Stewardship of assets and tax payer dollars.
- Collective intelligence references
- Intelligence gap analysis
- How to leverage collective intelligence within concept papers, position papers, business cases